Image via http://bit.ly/1tfYOrC
My friend and former roommate recently became inspired to revive her Twitter campaign. As a fitness and healthy lifestyle enthusiast, she inspires people through her journey to fitness. She wants to give her story a communal voice, and what better place to do that than social media? She reached out to me to ask how to build her Twitter community and these were my suggestions:
1. Know your strengths
What specific topics can you tackle based on your area(s) of expertise? Drill down and figure out what makes you a unique resource to your online community. For example, my friend can share the following:
- Inspiration: She can share the story of her journey to fitness and inspire others to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Nutrition: Recipes are social media gold. Especially if they can be made in under 30 minutes with very few ingredients.
- Exercise: Quick and easy workouts are shared readily by fitness communities on social media.
2. Create a website and blog
After you’ve determined your voice, it’s time to give it a home. Facebook is not a home. Twitter is not a home. These are extensions of your home. Branches of a tree. Arms of an octopus, etc. Your home is your website. That’s where your content lives, your contact information, your ‘About me’ page. Without a website, your social strategy is worthless. Create a website using WordPress (or another service that’s to your liking) and blog consistently. Write well. Write often. Write for search engines, but also for people.
3. Time to tweet
When tweeting, be concise but interesting. The 140 character count is not a creativity death sentence, rather, it’s an opportunity to learn how to condense your thoughts–to be brief, but persuasive. Think ‘how am I being a resource to my community?’
“5 ways to beat your craving–and whittle your waistline [link]”
“A 15 minute workout to help you build strength, endurance & confidence [link]”
4. Tweet meaningfully
Pay attention to the kinds of tweets that catch your eye. They most likely contain:
- A call-to action: Compelling tweets spur you to action. They lure you in with a question, a pull at the heartstrings. Ask. Use emotion to convey thoughts.
- A link to additional information: Tweets with a link are more likely to get retweeted because you’re providing information that your audience can then share with their Twitter followers.
- Personal pronouns: Use the words ‘you’, ‘your’ and ‘we’ to address your audience in tweets.
- Lists: Lists work well on Twitter. For example, ‘5 reasons to use list stories on Twitter.’ Everyone’s incredibly busy these days, if you haven’t heard. Condense your thoughts and attract those busy bees.
5. Tease your reader
Don’t give them all the information. Tease your audience a bit. You want them to click through, you want them to engage.
“Everything you thought about eating right is wrong. But these simple tweaks will change it all [link]”
“Morning workouts to power you through the day! What’s your favorite workout move? [link]”
“What’s your biggest challenge when it comes to eating healthy? We’re here to help you overcome it [link]”
6. Images, images, images
Use images in tweets. It’s all about the aesthetics, people. We’re attracted to visuals. We like the pretty shiny. Attach relevant images to tweets to help further involve your audience in your story.
7. Measure your results
Twitter has analytics. No excuses. Other tools to try include Sprout Social, Buffer and HootSuite.
8. Follow the leaders
Follow influencers in your field. Be you, but be inspired. Take note of what they’re doing well and what you could be doing better.
9. Join the conversation
Twitter chats are typically hour-long chats hosted on Twitter via a specific hashtag. These chats range from fitness chats (#runchat) to chats about the latest in digital marketing (#OrganikChat).
I host #OrganikChat every Thursday at 4:00 p.m. ET. Join us to talk about the latest in social media, SEO, and digital marketing.
Now get to tweetin’! And follow the talented @StephPerkowski on her Twitter journey.
If you found this information helpful, be sure to check out our post “What’s your Twitter chat personality?”. Organik SEO is passionate about helping businesses grow by tapping into the power of social media and SEO. To discuss how we can help you grow your business, contact us today!