Recently, Tumblr released an updated version of its app for iPhone, iPad and Android. The update allows users to be able to customize the design and look of their blog directly from within the Tumblr app. Users were always able to post and edit content to their blog from the app, but now they are able to edit the blog’s actual theme. The update allows you to change pictures, fonts, colors and more through a WYSIWYG-style UI similar to on the web. Any changes you make will be able to be previewed before they go live.
The difference between your Tumblr appearance and your Tumblr blog theme is that your theme is how your blog looks at its web address on a desktop computer. Blog appearance changes only affect how your blog looks on mobile devices, search pages and the popover that comes up when someone hovers over your username. To put it simply, your blog appearance is for anywhere that is not your blog URL.
According to Tumblr, here are the basics for blog customization. You can do one of the following three options to access the Customize menu:
1) On the top right of the Dashboard, chose your blog from the menu, then click “Edit Theme”.
2) Go to yourblog.tumblr.com and click the Customize button located on the top right corner of the web view of your blog.
3) Clicking on the gear icon at the top of your Dashboard will get you to Settings. Once in there, chose your blog from the menu on the right. Then simply click “Edit Theme”.
Along with customizing your blog’s appearance, description, and title, you can choose a new theme from this page by clicking “Browse Themes” or by visiting www.tumblr.com/themes.
Editing Your Tumblr Blog Description
To edit your blog’s description, click on the gear icon at the top of your Dashboard and go to Settings. Then choose the blog you want to update, then click “Edit Theme” in the section called Website Theme. After making your changes, be sure and click “Save”.
Updating Your Tumblr Blog Appearance
The way your blog looks in the mobile apps, Dashboard and search results is called your Tumblr Appearance. With the new update, making changes in your Tumblr blog’s appearance is easy. To edit, simply pull up your blog using your iOS device, press the user menu, then click on “Edit Appearance”. The user menu is the little thing with three lines. If you are using Android, press Edit while looking at your blog. You can change your accent color or hide things by touching them.
Keep in mind that any changes to your avatar, title and description that you make in your blog appearance settings will appear changed everywhere.
Tumblr Blog Themes
To edit the HTML of your theme, go to the Customize section of your blog and use the editor feature. You can also put small amounts of code in the description box. To edit your Tumblr blog’s Custom HTML, do the following:
1) Click Settings (the gear icon) at the top of your Dashboard.
2) Choose the blog you’d like to update on the right side of the page, then click “Edit theme” in the Website Theme section.
3) Click the Edit HTML button and edit the Custom HTML as desired in the source code editor. To see the changes reflected on the page, click “Update Preview.”
4) When you’re finished, click the back arrow and then click “Save.”
To revert back to an old version of Custom HTML, simply go to the Theme Recovery page.
Although Tumblr doesn’t let you measure the activity of the blog itself, you can use Google Analytics to do things such as track the number of visitors to your blog, the frequency of the visitors, your most popular posts, where your visitors are coming from and much more. You can set up a Google Analytics account to get started.