We are happy to give the “Companies That Care” spotlight this week to Rubio’s, a restaurant chain that is just as committed to improving the quality of life in their communities as they are to the quality and freshness of their food.
Rubio’s is a socially responsible company. They have fun while supporting causes that are important to their customers. Rubio’s is especially conscious about being a friend to the ocean. This company does everything from recycling in their restaurants to using eco-friendly packaging to supporting local charities.
Rubio’s strives to offer seafood that is certified sustainable or from responsibly managed fisheries that maintain healthy populations and ecosystems and do not harm the environment. The majority of the fish that Rubio’s uses meets this goal, including their genuine Wild Alaska Pollock, Regal Springs® Tilapia, Atlantic Salmon and Shrimp.
Rubio’s also has a solid recycling plan in place at each of their restaurants where the infrastructure and services exist. So far, Rubio’s has plastic and glass recycling in almost half of their restaurants and 100% of recycling of grease from their fryers (which stops grease from going into landfills and down drains).
The packaging and printed materials that Rubio’s uses in their restaurants is also eco-friendly, including:
- Compostable and biodegradable plates and to-go containers. These plates and to-go containers are made from molded fiber. As a result of this choice, they prevent over 300 tons of Styrofoam from reaching waste facilities each year.
- Bottle Box™ to-go salad bowls: These bowls are made from recycled plastic bottles and are 100% recyclable. The Bottle Box is made in California from plastic bottles recycled in California.
- Reusable Rubio’s Catering bags
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)-certified paper cups
- Bio-plastic (compostable) beer cups
- Compostable, bleach-free napkins
- Paper menus made from Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified paper and 10% recycled materials
They also incorporate many eco-friendly elements in their restaurants:
- Energy efficient LED lights and “smart” lighting management systems
- Reduced waste and recycling of building materials as well as re-using existing building materials (including HVAC, plumbing and electrical)
- Energy Star refrigeration which reduces use of refrigerant
- Tankless water heaters
- Sustainable and recycled materials for panels, countertops, tables and railings
- Palapa thatch made from discarded palm fronds
- LOW VOC paints and California Air Resource Board (CARB) compliant millwork
Rubio’s is also taking several steps to improve eco-friendly practices at their corporate office:
- Recycling bins for paper, plastic bottles & cans — proceeds go to Cans for Cancer™
- Efforts to reduce printing by printing double sided, as well as presenting and sharing information in electronic format whenever possible.
- Recycling of old computer equipment
- FSC-certified paper used for letterhead
- FSC-certified paper and 10% recycled paper used for business cards
- Use of no-VOC paint in their corporate office
- Carpet tiles and kitchen countertop made from recycled materials
Rubio’s has donated millions of dollars to local organizations through their fundraiser program. They have made a huge dent in helping the local communities they serve. You can hold a fundraiser at your local Rubio’s by booking online and, best of all, they will donate 20% of total sales to your group!
From recycling to sustainable seafood to serving their food in eco-friendly packaging, Rubio’s is doing what they can to achieve a greener tomorrow. Their progress will ultimately inspire their guests to act responsibly, too.
P.S. If you’re a local San Diego based company that has a passion for sustainability and giving back, we want to hear about it; learn more about “Companies That Care,” and feel free to contact us! Then tune in every week to see what San Diego business will be featured next!